Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Saints Go Marching In, and Wings!





Well, it's Super Bowl Sunday 2010.

Me not being a football fan, Super Bowl Sunday usually means two things: half price admission at the Nashville Zoo, and not very many people shopping at Wal-Mart, making it a perfect afternoon to go both places.

Chicago Man is not a football fan, either, one of his most endearing qualities IMO.

However, this year it's a bit different for me...because the New Orleans Saints are in the Super Bowl for the first time in their 43 year history.

I lived in New Orleans from 1875-1980 and saw them play (and lose) at the Superdome several times. (even though I am not a football fan, it was just the thing to do).

I wanted to celebrate, and even watch some of the game. (Chicago Man, being a rocker from way back, is excited about the halftime show by The Who. So that gives both of us a reason to watch).

So we decided to have a mini-Super Bowl party...just ourselves this year. Maybe if the Bears make it next year, we'll have a real party.

It would make sense to have New Orleans dishes like muffalatas, red beans and rice, or even beignets, but Chicago Man loves wings (or "wangs" as we say here in Tennessee) and I never fix them. Nor do we frequent "wang" restaurants, so I decided to make him some wangs for our little celebration.

I decided to take life easy and use the crockpot so of course I turned to Stephanie over at www.crockpot365.blogspot.com and her wonderful cookbook, Make It Fast, Cook It Slow.

And there it was, right in the appetizer section of her cookbook or on her site: Sweet and Spicy Wings. Perfect

Since it's just the two of us, and my digestive problems will prevent me from eating even one wing today, I halved Stephanie's recipe but I am reproducing it here for you in its entirety.

Her recipe calls for apricot preserves, but since I could only find Polaner (naturally sweetened) in peach, that's what I chose. It's still orange, right?

4 lbs of chicken wings and tiny drumsticks (I used Tyson all natural and they only had "wing selections" not drummies, so that's what I used)

11 oz jar of apricot preserves

14 oz jar of chipotle salsa (I used Pace mango pineapple chipotle)

brown wings (you can omit this step if you wish; I decided to brown mine)

mix preserves and salsa in separate bowl

put wings in crockpot; pour preserve/salsa mixture over wings

cook on high 4 hours, or low for 8 hours. Mine were done in about 3 1/2!

Oh, and I used a 6-quart crockpot, too.

So now I'm ready to hunker down, watch Chicago Man rock out to The Who and enjoy his wangs, and watch the Saints take the win!

No comments: